Friday, August 28, 2009

Audition Log: 8/28/09

The Importance of Being Earnest
The Counting Squares Theatre

Counting Squares is a relatively new company that was formed by three graduates from the University of Central Florida. Now I've had plenty of experience with theatre companies formed by people who met in college (Hi Clockwork guys), but unlike Clockwork, I thought I might have a chance of getting cast in one of their shows.

Just kidding.

Kind of.

It was for the Importance of Being Earnest, which I was in in college. And do you ever look at pictures of yourself from shows in college and think, "Gee, I wonder how different that scene would have been if I'd had an objective"? I do.

The audition was on St. Mark's, on the same street where I shot that Hair Growth Shampoo commercial last summer. The rehearsal space was a bar, so that was cool and kind of chill. I did two monologues, one from "An Ideal Husband," to demonstrate my handle of the style, and the other was "The Altruists" by Nicky Silver, for pure comedy.

I was the last one to do my monologue, but I got there so early that there were about six people in front of me. They laughed a lot more at my monologues than I thought they would. When people are sitting in a room listening to a bunch of monologues that are supposed to be funny, making them laugh is a hard job. But they seemed willing to laugh, which is cool.

I didn't get a callback, but I think I did a pretty good job, my contemporary monologue especially.

Next audition:
"The Trestle at Pope Lick Creek"
Tuesday, 8pm

No comments:

Post a Comment