Thursday, August 27, 2009

Audition Log: 8/25/09

Up once again at 6:15am, which is the earliest I can recall actually hearing my alarm, which means I must have hit the snooze button twice in total unconsiousness.

Came very, VERY close to not going, since I was so exhausted from the day before, but I knew I'd regret it, so I dragged my butt out of bed and into the shower.

Got to the studio around 8, once again surprised there weren't more people there. Number nine on the sign-in sheet yet again. Booyah.

The auditioners arrive at 9, but they aren't honoring the unofficial sign-in sheet so we have to get signed in again. By then there are more people there so my number gets bumped from 9 to 21. Awesome.

Run into Lauren Lucksavage, fellow New Paltzer. Haven't seen her since sophmore year when she transfered to another school. She remarked that I am the first person from our class in New Paltz that she has seen out on an audition. Struck me as kind of odd, but I'm just getting back into auditioning after a long hiatus, so I'm not one to judge.

Sang "Stars and the Moon" and "Tell Me on a Sunday." Both sounded good but I still didn't have a clear enough focus during either song. I walked out and didn't really remember what i did, which is never a good sign.

I think it's because I'm so out of practice with musical auditions. I've been doing mainly film and some straight play stuff for the past year. It's easy for me to sleepwalk through a song because how it's SUPPOSED to sound is so finely mapped by notes and beats and so on. Whereas a monologue is just words on a page. Tone, rhythm and inflection all depend on what I'm doing with it. So singing a song is almost like going through my monologue ahead of time and deciding exactly how I'm going to say each word.

I think I just need to get back in the habit, like Sister Act Two. And I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for more cruise line auditions, because it sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Next audition:
"The Importance of Being Earnest" by the Counting Squares Theatre.
Friday at 11:30am
I have an actual appointment for this one.
V. exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment