Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Musical Mission Step Two: Have a good audition


Going to a buttload of Equity Chorus Calls mean nothing if you never get into the room. Though I suppose it's a nice change from waking up at 1pm because your cat is hungry.

Monday I actually had a by-appointment audition for a musical. As in a, "we've seen your resume and we have already decided not to kick you out," kind of situation. So though my "Musical Mission" (good God I'm clever) is 24 days in, Monday was the first time I have actually been able to sing with a piano player.

By-appointment auditions continue to make me laugh. You travel for an hour on the subway, and then you're in and you're out in less than 15 minutes. It's like I was picking up my dry cleaning or something. I really showed up, dropped my stuff in the hallway, filled out the audition form, read through the sides twice, and then the monitor asked me, "are you ready?"

I sang "Stars and the Moon" from Songs for a New World, because I know it really well, I've done it a bunch before and I thought it was a smart idea since I'm out of practice, and I kind of have a cold. In the end I had trouble staying on tempo with the accompanist (Jason Robert Brown music is needlessly complicated) but I just went for it. I figured she'd catch up to me.

The director looked at my resume and said, "You haven't done any musicals? You've got a great voice."

The experience left me feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment