Monday, January 23, 2012

Musical Mission Step One: Go see a show


January is almost over so I bet you're all wondering if I've taken any steps yet in my New Year's Resolution to get back into musicals.

And nothing makes me more excited and inspired, and simultaneously miserable that it's not me on that stage, it's seeing a Broadway show. Especially a Broadway show I've always wanted to see.

The Boyfriend bought us orchestra seats to Wicked. ORCHESTRA seats. I could have been spit on. Best Friend Jen and I used to play the soundtrack nonstop in our dorm room sophomore year, but I haven't actually listened to it in a while. Seeing the show just brought back all the memories of how I used to listen to the CD, fantasizing about playing Elphaba on Broadway.

I saw Jackie Burns in the role, and she killed it. She was better than Idina Menzel, in my opinion. Especially singing No Good Deed, which has always been my favorite song in the show.

The experience did exactly what I'd hoped it would do. It re-lit the fire under my ass. I was so excited to be seeing a Broadway show again that I actually burst into tears during the opening number.

ONWARD!

1 comment:

  1. Nothing stirs the soul like an amazing musical number. Break a leg in those auditions!

    ReplyDelete