Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shoots and Giggles


2011 is already turning out to be a pretty good year. Last Thursday I combined two of my New Year's resolutions: Get a reel, and actually do more New York-y things.

Because seriously, I've lived here all my life and I've only been to Central Park five times.

Well now, make that six. Josh, A.K.A. the guy who gave us pizza and beer at the audition for Max August, asked me to come out and shoot a short with him. Mainly because they got some lenses on loan and didn't have anything to use them on. So he grabbed me and Gary (whose back is pictured at left) to put together a little short while they're developing Max August.

We went to Central Park (so that makes six) and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, which I have never done, but have been saying "I should" for the past year. Our bridge shoot was at sundown--freakin' gorgeous.

My favorite part of filming something in public is everybody looking at you, trying to figure out if you're famous, and that moment when they realize, No, you're not important.

However, there was a young French girl with her parents on the Brooklyn Bridge, who must have been about thirteen, who made her parents stay and watch almost the entire shoot. Between one of the takes I looked over at her and stuck my tongue out and she laughed and said something to her mom in French.

We didn't end up getting all the shots we needed, so we're going to be continuing this week.

Then Sunday was my shoot for "Finding Me," with my lovely co-star Coco (yes, that is a real dog). This shoot was a lot of fun, but very indicative of the rigors of film acting.

I was up at 7am to get to Brooklyn by 9. The shots were all evening interior shots, so when I got there, the crew was taping black garbage bags over the windows to block out the daylight.

I was a supporting role, so I was not in a lot of the shots, so I spent a lot of time sitting in the dark. I kept falling asleep, and waking up just before I had to go on film.

The shoot was a lot of fun, and I got some really nice stuff, including a few tears. I'm really excited to get all of this stuff back and start putting together a reel. Next up, the second half of the short with Josh and Gary, and then a music video on Monday.

Huzzah.

1 comment: