Sunday, October 11, 2009

How goes the filming...

The hours are long, the pay is non-existent and the activity is repetitive, but man, it's totally worth it.

I've been filming "Slice of Life" this week, at this absolutely gorgeous loft in SoHo. It's been so much fun!

One of my Alpha Psi Omega brothers (theatre honor society-fraternity type thingy) came to stay over last night and got me to thinking about college. New Paltz was a really fun time and I miss it some times, but ultimately I'm glad that I'm out and working. But it's been kind of a rough two years.

The first thing I did out of college was a student-produced production at Queens College. It was being done by some friends of mine, and I stepped in as sort of a favor because one of the students involved got sick and they had no understudy. Success.

I did the reading of "Cherry Smoke" with the Clockwork Theatre, at an Off-Broadway theatre, and helped to develop a new play, which was then produced Off-Broadway the next year. Success.

I was not cast in the actual production. Fail.

I got into "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" but shortly thereafter quit because the headache wasn't worth the payoff. Fail.

I got into "Danny and the Deep Blue Sea" but quit for some of the same reasons. Fail.

So after all that, I was a little worried that maybe I didn't have the drive. Maybe if I didn't love the art more than I hated the work, I wasn't really meant to do this for the rest of my life.

But this film has really convinced me that this is what I want to do. I mean, it's just a thesis film for the New York Film Academy, but it's a higher level class and has a bigger budget than the other films I've done with NYFA. The crew is made up of fun people and I'm having an absolutely wonderful time. Even though I was there for the past few days from 9:30 am (and up at 6am) until 7pm (home at 8) and I was running basically on coffee and enthusiasm, I loved every single second of it.

I can't wait to see it all done. That's the great thing about doing a student film. They have to hand it in, so you know it has to be done by a certain time. I think Louis has to hand it in in December, so I'll have it by next year.

I think I only need one more short film to have a pretty decent reel. Huzzah.

But this is also making me feel like film is the right genre for me, which makes the move to LA all the more iminent. Scary.

I have two more scenes to film before I'm done. Tomorrow we're filming at a nursing home in New Jersey. Field trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment