Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Make Me a SuperStar

The time has come in the night where one must choose between bed and coffee. I have chosen coffee.

First thought of the night: It amuses me that in the scene in Atonement in which Kiera Knightly's little sister comes to visit her first thing in the morning, Kiera Knightly answers the door in a bathrobe, but with her hair and make-up done.

Secondly, after nearly a month since I first received the email, I've gotten my act together and recorded my video audition tape for "Make Me a Super Star."

The scene is chosen from ones that they provide on the website. It sounds like it's straight out of 90210, and since I am currently obsessed with 90210 (huzzah Netflix) I'm a happy bunny.

Although it's not the scene I would have chosen for my audition, but there wasn't a comedic choice for women among the scene choices, sad face. Anyway, the video is posted on Facebook, and I'll probably put it up on the YouTube page as well. It's kind of Soap Opera-y, which has never been my greatest strength as an actor. You have to be just right to read those kinds of lines and not sound like a jackass.

I remember I took a Soap Opera Acting workshop in college, and one of my lines was, "You are the worst human being I've ever met in my life," and for some reason I just couldn't deliver it without getting a laugh.

But alas, I think the more interesting part of the video is the beginning in which I talk about myself, and my natural personality is all up in that biznitch.

My motivation in this is about equal parts wanting to be a superstar, and wanting to be on a reality tv show. Oxygen was showing its daily America's Next Top Model marathon and I got sucked in, yet again. God I wish I was thin enough to be on that show. I would rock the shit out of that show. I would send that show home crying to it's mama.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the goal of my life is going to be a long-running quest toward becoming the greatest actor on the planet, but the way I see it, I could become the greatest actor on the planet, and THEN become famous, or I could become famous, and THEN become the greatest actor on the planet. Meh.

When I was younger I wanted to be famous. I wanted photos of me buying toothpaste to appear in US Weekly. And then I got to college and I learned that in order to have a fulfilling life as an actor, your priority should be the quality of your work, and not the degree of your fame. I realized there was something noble about spending those character-building years paying your Student Loans late and eating dry Rice-a-Roni out of the box with a plastic spoon. As long as you maintained your integrity.

Two years post-graduation: Fuck integrity, I'd like a personal shopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment