Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Countdown Begins...

I have three hundred and fifty-five days until I turn twenty-five. Therefore I have three hundred and fifty-five days to become successful, or get into one of the unions, or become incredibly famous. And if I don't, I move to LA, where I will spend all of my days away from everything that makes me feel comfortable.

I made an important stride in my career today.

My parents paid for my subscription to Backstage and Backstage.com as a graduation present two years ago. At the end of the year, it was automatically renewed. I didn't notice, since it wasn't my credit card statement. All I know is I kept getting the paper every week, so I didn't complain. They never said anything, so I just let it go.

This year my parents got a new credit card, and so on August 1st I received an email that the credit card number I had on file was no longer good and my subscription would not be renewed.

So now I am proud to say that I am officially paying for my own subscription to Backstage. Which I hope means that I will use it more.

It was a lovely gift from my parents who have always supported me in this crazy dream of mine, but after the first year I should have taken up the mantle myself. The more I allow things like that to happen, the more laxidasical my life will become.

Laxidasical is definitely the word I want to use there. But I have no idea how to spell it.

Lack-si-daiz-i-cal. You'll figure it out. You're smart peoples.

Now that I'm paying out of pocket for this subscription, I had better utilize it more fully than I have for the past two years. I just set up my whole online resume on the website so that I can submit for job postings directly, instead of having to attach my headshot and resume to an email, which is truly a pain in the ass.

Very excited about the next audition lined up on my calendar. It's an open call for "In The Mood" which is a tour of a 1930s-1940s musical review.

Several things are looking like they are in my favor:
  1. It is an open call, which means the sign up sheet is the sign up sheet, regardless of Union affiliations. Therefore, I have as much of a chance at being seen as any Equity girl (in theory)
  2. They only want altos, not sopranos, so that's a whole bunch of girls out already
  3. I have the perfect audition song, which my voice teacher gave me because he was "so excited to finally teach someone with a low enough voice to sing it."
  4. They want girls with a 1940s look, which I definitely have.
It would be awesome to get a tour right now. I'm hitting the two year itch, having been at the same job and in the same apartment this whole time. I want a change of scenery.

Also, my new headshots were finally delivered. It's the same picture that's on my business card, but looking at them so much bigger makes a world of difference. This has got to be the most favorite picture of myself I have ever taken. I think I look beautiful. I literally stared at it for a good ten minutes when I took them out of the box yesterday.

God I'm hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment