Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Theatre is good.

Jen and I saw "Desire Under the Elms" last night. Orchestra seats. I love her job. Honestly I don't know what we're going to do when it ends in a month.

I suppose the answer is: pay for theatre tickets.

Boo.

Anyway, it was AWESOME. Particularly the male nudity of the most gorgeous man I've seen in a long long time. I wonder if that scene was part of his audition. If it was, I know why he got the part, besides his clear speaking voice.

Brian Denehey was amazing. The man is like a wrecking ball. I was demolished.

The coolest thing was the set. There was literally a HOUSE suspended from the fly space above the stage. It hung there in midair while the action of the play went on underneath it. And then, it comes slowly down, and then like, two seconds after it touches the ground, one of the actors comes out the front door and calls, "Supper's ready!" and they go into it.

And then it goes up and a table and chairs come out of the floor and they sit and have dinner. And the entire time I was TERRIFIED. I mean, I know that the house was NOT being held by the ropes tied around it. We were close enough the the stage that I could see the aircraft cable. But it made me so uneasy to see something that big and heavy hanging in the air above actors' heads.

Which I guess is why they did it. I mean, aside from the Awesome Factor (which on a one to ten scale is at about 25) It kind of ensures that the audience be completely aware that at any moment, these characters whole world is going to come crashing down on them.

Brilliant.

There were a bunch of other Roundabout interns at the show, including this one guy who, according to Jen, is massively critical of everything he sees. As we were walking out of the show (reeling from both emotional content and the image of Pablo Schreiber's naked torso burned into our retinas) she asks him, "what did you think?" and he give her this look. His eyes clearly said, "OBVIOUSLY I hated it" as if we'd just walked out of P.S. 165's presentation of Hamlet.

Luckily, Jen steered us out of there before it became an actual conversation. Although I must admit I was a little curious as to what notes this twenty-something intern had for Mr. Denehey and O'Neil. I was like, "Oh? How would you have done it? Would you have had a different way of portraying a father who's wife has just murdered his son? Would you have not yelled as much maybe?"

Jackass.

Ugh. It was so good.

After that we met the ladies at the bar and I THINK I may have given Paul Rudd my business card.

Meep.

Rehearsal tonight. I can't wait for this show. Especially after seeing such an awesome performance, I am totally keyed up for Danny and Deep Blue Sea.

Woot.

2 comments:

  1. That guy's actually a salaried employee, though I'll admit he looks young enough to be an intern. Today at work he conceded that the set was awesome to the power of a million, but he disparaged Pablo as "fidgety" and he said something to the effect of wanting the house to fall on Carla. No comment on the Dennehey, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more! What a production!!!

    ReplyDelete