Monday, April 20, 2009

T-minus 6 weeks until Danny and the Deep Blue Sea

Ian, who is playing Danny in Danny and the Deep Blue Sea, just left. He came over so that we could run lines and talk about play-related stuff.

Feeling very good about the show. Ian and I have very good chemistry, I think. It's funny, I've always thought that I had good chemistry with my co-stars before, but now that I think about it, this is really the first time I've acted with someone that i didn't really know before. So I don't think I've ever really known what it was to have chemistry with someone I didn't already have a pre-existing relationship with.

I mean, think about it. All the biggest roles I've played before this have been mostly in college, where I'd known my co-stars for a long time. Maybe not as well as I did before working with them, I daresay I didn't really know Emma Jerome before we were in The Importance of Being Earnest. But we had spent that well-documented Halloween party drunk on her kitchen floor, so that always creates a bond.

And after that, I worked with the improv group, but that doesn't really count, because it's comedy. And what is comedy if not a vehicle to diffuse awkwardness.

Even the ten-minute play I just did at The Producer's Club was with Jess Ritacco, who I went to school with for three years.

This is the first time I've ever done intimate and emotional work with someone that I've never met before auditions. And I was so nervous that I wouldn't like him or we wouldn't get along or it would be uncomfortable. But it's turning out to be awesome.

Ian's played Danny before. This fact does not surprise me. It seems like the role he was born to play. The guy is like a tornado. He just blows on though, leaving overturned cars in his wake.

Looks like we've just about got a venue and dates set in stone, which means I will soon have tickets to sell. And since we're getting a cheaper theatre, the third day of shows is no longer dependent on advanced ticket sales! But it looks like we're going to be doing a Thursday instead of Sunday. I guess that's good. It'll probably be easier to get my Thursday shift covered at work than my Sunday.

In other news, my quest to lose weight before the show is going well. I've managed to slim down the waist a bit without actually looking sickly or becoming unhealthy. It's amazing what you can do by just not eating crap. Although I did allow myself a moment of weakness the other day and I got Burger King. But i got a Kid's Meal, which is the only portion size I will allow myself of fast food these days. It was such a tiny little soda. Adorable.

So hopefully, I'll actually get some industry people to come to this show, which will no doubt lead to my being signed by an agent, which will lead to a television show, which in turn will lead to a movie deal, and soon little girls around the country will be begging Mommy and Daddy for their very own Michele McNally action figure.

Solid plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment