Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'll think of a title tomorrow...

And so ends the Season of Jen, which is what Jen and I dubbed this lovely period of her internship with Roundabout, during which she has been able to gain access to free theatre tickets. And since her boyfriend is in Indiana, I got them as well.

But her internship is ending soon, and so the last free tickets we enjoyed were to last night's production of "Waiting For Godot."

Now I must admit, when we were supposed to read "Waiting For Godot" in Western Drama Two, I didn't read it. And I didn't pay much attention during the lecture the next day. I'm sorry Frank Trezza, I hope you will forgive me. But I knew enough to know that the "when does Godot come?" question of the quiz was a trick.

The performances were great. Nathan Lane and Bill Irwin were Estragon and Vladimir. And then John Goodman and John Glover were Pozzo and Lucky. They were all awesome, especially Bill Irwin, who's one of my favorite actors. But I wasn't TOO crazy about the show. I think it's by far the best Roundabout show we've seen this year, although I did like Hedda Gabbler despite the reviews.

But the problem is, I think, that you wouldn't get as much out of it as you would if you had studied the play. I feel like I need to go home, crack open Stages of Drama, and see it again. And let's face it, most of the people who are going to see this show have not studied it. Most of them are probably going to see Nathan Lane and John Goodman, and probably don't know who Bill Irwin is.

But the highlight of the show is definitely John Glover as Lucky. He looks terrifying and he does such a physically demanding performance, and the man is like 64 years old! The whole time he's huffing and puffing and stumbling around looking like he's about to faint, and growling like an animal. Awesome awesome awesome.

And of course because Bill Irwin and Nathan Lane were the two main characters, it was a lot funnier than I expected. They were very Vaudevillian and tramp-like. Very Chaplin. But other than the massive schtick, it kind of made me sad. I mean, I get that Godot is supposed to be God. Seriously, they even pronounced it "GOD-oh" which made me cringe everytime I heard it. So I get that. And I know that this is kind of the point of the show, but it just made me so sad that these two men return to this place every day waiting for something to happen that never does. They say that they can't stop coming because they'll be punished, but they're just filled with this aimless faith that's never rewarded.

Downer.

And then Jen and I got drunk and somewhere between the bathroom floor at McCoy's and the cab back to Flushing I lost a fucking earring.

God I am starving.

I want a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment