Monday, June 9, 2014

The Brawl Crawl!

Occupy Verona's long cold-weather hiatus has finally come to an end!

That's right, friends! It is warming up in New York City, and so Occupy Verona's site-specific outdoor Shakespeare performances can begin again!

Before we jump back into a full production, however, some of the Occupy Verona crowd (including myself) embarked on a little experiment called, "The Brawl Crawl."


The concept was simple: Perform Shakespeare fight scenes IN bars all over the city, traveling from bar to bar for each scene. 

We had a solid line-up of scenes and a handful of bars in the West Village that agreed to house us as long as "everyone buys a beer."

We started with the opening brawl from Romeo and Juliet (Do you bite your thumb at us sir?) to a decent-sized audience. 

By the time we got to the second bar for my scene (The Taming of the Shrew with Marc Sauve) there were enough people for me to be worried that I might accidentally kick someone while doing my fight choreography.

Five bars and six scenes later, there were almost 80 people there, drinking beers and cheering on the scenes! 



Rest assured, the Brawl Crawl will happen again, and I will most likely be reprising my role as Katherine in The Taming of the Shrew! 

No comments:

Post a Comment