Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Audition Log: 8/29/11

Dust in the Wind
Written and directed by Dorit Katzenelenbogen

About three years ago I did this acting workshop with a bunch of people from the City University of New York community. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of friends from CUNY Queens because my best friend from High School happened to go there. So when I came home from SUNY New Paltz (State University of New York--ooh, fancy) I would hang out with him and his friends.

And his girlfriend.

Yeah.

That's how I roll.

Anyway, shortly after I graduated and came back to the city, a bunch of us started a "workshop," which was basically just us getting together to read monologues we wanted to use for auditions, scenes we'd written, or stuff we'd just always wanted to do.

So when I saw the name of one of the young ladies who attended that workshop on a casting notice in Backstage, I thought to myself, "Man, how many Dorit Katzenelenbogens are there in the world? It's got to be her."

The play is a one-act that's being put on as part of a competition, and I got an audition for 9:45pm last night, as what I'm sure was one of the last auditions for the piece.

Unfortunately when I got there the door was locked.

But someone came down, leaving after a long day of doing something else that they do in that building, and I got in.
The audition went well, and we actually spent most of the time chatting and catching up. I left feeling upbeat, and optimistic, and got on the elevator to go from the third floor to the lobby...

And BOOM! The elevator shoots straight down to the basement and BOUNCES. I'm pretty sure I've just experienced Biggest Fear # 1 of 3: Falling in an elevator (#2: Vomiting in public, #3: Zombies). The doors did not open, and buttons pushed yielded no response whatsoever. But after a second, the lobby button lit up again, and the elevator went up and opened.

I shot out of that sucker and was down the street at the bar within five minutes.

If I get the part, awesome. But I consider myself lucky to be alive regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment