Sunday, February 28, 2010

Audition Log 2/27/10

I don't know if this happens to you, but this is what typically happens to me: I'll have like two or three weeks where it seems like nothing is going right. I can't get a job, I can't get a role, there are no auditions, I lose my MetroCard, etc.

And then, one good thing will happen, and then like twenty good things will happen, and I'll have two or three weeks of awesome times. It's like my career is bi-polar.

Well we're in a good stretch, I think.

I got inspired the other day, and went on Backstage and NYCastings and submitted for a whole mess of things, and booked a whole bunch of auditions for the upcoming week, the first of which happened yesterday.

It was for a new original comedy called "Poppycock." It was advertised as a "screwball comedy" and from the scenes that I read it has a very old Hollywood, Clue, Noises-Off kind of feel to it. I got the sides on Thursday for two characters, Poppy (the play's namesake) and Bianca (the ingenue).

It's really well-written, which is the most exciting part. A lot of times when you get your hands on an original play, it's no secret why it hasn't been published yet. But this one was really funny, and I was really excited about the audition.

When I went in they seemed really nice and they were really receptive to me. After I read the two scenes that they'd given me, they also gave me a couple more scenes to read, and I did those as well.

It was, in short, a really good audition, and I left for work that day feeling like things were looking up. One good audition would lead to another good audition, and another, and maybe eventually to a job.

It was a busy Saturday night, so though I got a call on my cell phone at 6:30, I couldn't actually check my voicemail until about 9:30, when I finally took my break. It was Lindsay, the producer asking me to call her.

And remember when I said that one good thing happens, and then a whole bunch of good things happen?

I GOT THE PART!

I'm going to play Poppy! The show is in April, and rehearsals start immediately. We're having out first rehearsal on Tuesday. This is really exciting, because I've been focusing so much on film lately, I haven't actually been in a full-length play in almost two years. Not since "Cherry Smoke" and that was only a staged reading.

It's running three weekends in April and it is going to ROCK.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment